The Department of the Interior has recently released the 2017 dates when entry to 124 fee-based National Parks Service units will be FREE! Putting these on the calendar now can lead to budget friendly travel opportunities in the new year, especially if you plan to visit some of the parks where the entry fee is $30, like Grand Canyon, Yosemite National Parks, and others.
- January 16: Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
- February 20: Presidents' Day.
- April 15-16 and 22-23: Weekends of National Park Week.
- August 25: National Park Service Birthday.
- September 30: National Public Lands Day.
- November 11-12: Veterans Day Weekend.
You may want to start planning spring trips now, especially for the April weekend; those dates will be here before we know it, and the weekends also overlap with spring break for lots of U.S. colleges, primary and secondary schools. We’d suggest looking at Avios, British Airways rewards program, and American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards for getting to some of the more hard to reach parks like Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. For a complete listing of parks that typically charge a fee for entry, click here.